Celebrity Inspired Summer Makeup : Julianne Hough

26 June 2014


I have a new type of post today, which is very exciting for me as it hopefully will be for you. I've decided to start doing celebrity styled posts based on their makeup looks - relating to a season or event etc. My first post is dedicated to the beautiful Julianne Hough - an actress who has performed in various films such a the 2011 production of Footloose and more recently 'Safe Haven', which I have to admit is one of my all time favourite films! I saw a photo of her earlier on in the week and was admiring her beautiful, subtle summer makeup and really wanted to try and create a similar look.

In this post, I will be showing you highend and drugstore alternatives for each make up product to create this stunning, bronzed goddess look. Let's get started...



Face
Primer

Julianne always has flawless skin, so I thought it was essential to use a primer. When recreating this look, I chose to use the Benefit's Porefessional (£24.50) but a cheaper alternative could be Maybellines Baby Skin(£7.99).



Foundation

From looking at the photos of Julianne above, I think she mainly had a dewy, healthy glow. Therefore, I opted for lighter coverage foundations that gave a dewy finish, rather than a matte. I used the Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum in Light Beige (£10.99)  mixed with L'Oreal's Nude Magique Eau De Teint (£9.99). I tend to mix these two foundations because the Bourjois one is too light for me whereas the L'Oreal one is too dark so blending them together creates a perfect colour that matches my skin tone. Alternatively, if you want to splash out on something a little more expensive, I would reach for the All-in-one Body Shop BB Cream (£12.00) because it leaves a beautiful finish on the face. 


Concealer

To further achieve Julianne's flawless skin, you MUST to conceal (don't feel, don't let it show:-)) Luckily, I am not very spot prone and hardly get spots so I do not usually need to cover any blemishes, however I am cursed with under eye blackness/circles. The perfect item for the job most definitely has to be the very loved Collection Lasting Perfection. This is the 3rd shade out of the 4 and perfectly hides my dreaded, hideous under eyes. Also, if you want to purchase a higher end concealer then I would definitely recommend using Benefit's Erase Paste. 


Powder 

Obviously, I used very little powder in this look as Julianne had a gorgeous dewy finish. Therefore, I only powder areas on my face which I feel will get particularly shiny - very unattractive. I usually lightly powder my under eyes to set my concealer and my T-Zone. I do this with the Seventeen Miracle Matte Pressed Powder (£3.99), which I personally feel is much better than Rimmel's Stay Matte that everyone loves (sorry!). Thank you to my friend Jess (helloitsjessxx.blogspot.co.uk) for recommending this to me as I love it so much and you should all go and check out her blog - she is soooo lovable! If you are willing to spend your money on a more luxurious powder, then definitely spend it on Mac's Studio Fix Powder. I do think the Seventeen one is a great dupe for it!

Blush

Blush has to be my favourite part of this look. It is a peachy pink colour that looks gorgeous when the sun shines onto the cheeks or it really compliments a tanned face. In attempt to find something that worked similarly, I used my E.L.F Baked Blush in Peachy Cheeky (£3.95). Just to let you know, the baked blushes from E.L.F are so so gorgeous and if you go on their website, at the minute they are 50% off - this means they are only £1.98!!! I absolutely love this blush, it girls such a sweet coral glow to the cheeks; it is also a two in one because I feel like it acts as a highlight too. An expensive alternative to this would be Benefit Rockateur (£24.50) - although this is rose gold, I think it would work really well with this look.


Bronzer

There seems to be little contour on Julianne's face in this Summer-y look, so I thought I would just create a basic 'C' on the face. This means I just used the NYC Big Bold Bronzing Powder (£1.99) to slightly accentuate my cheek bones and frame my face by blending a tiny bit on my temples. This bronzer is a great dupe for Benefit's Hoola (£24.50) which I love dearly, but unfortunately only have a small sample off. Need to purchase the full size!!!



Eyes

Eyebrows

I struggle a lot with my eyebrows because they are pretty not existent in the middle. I have rather dark hair so not having strong thick eyebrows really sucks:-(! However, I have recently been loving wax eyebrow kits as I feel they work much better than the pencils. My E.L.F Studio Eyebrow Kit (£3.95) is very well loved, as seen in the photo, and has a very similar formula, as well as aesthetically, to the Benefit Brow zings (£24.50), which I also am a fan on (I have tried it many times but haven't bought the actual product). The wax's are highly pigmented and make my eyebrows look much fuller, whilst still making them appear natural. Julianne has natural thin brows so I tried to mimick them... 



Eyeshadow Primer

This isn't really essential, but I like my eyeshadow to last throughout the day. I used some of a sample pod that I own of the Urban Decay Original Primer Potion. This really does make sure that my eyeshadow lasts from day till night. A really great dupe for this product from the drugstore is the E.L.F Eyelid Primer (£1.95).



Eyeshadow

I have recently become obsessed with the beauty of eyeshadows. In Julianne's look, you can't really tell but I'm guessing she would have very neutral, bronze glittery shades. For this, I opted for two colours in my Urban Decay Naked Palette (£37.00) - Shades Chopper and Bootycall. I placed bootycall all over the lid, with Chopper running on the outer corner of my eye. I then simply took my Mac Eyeshadow (£12.50) in the shade Cranberry and blended it well into the crease so no harsh lines were visible. To recreate a simple eye look, I would recommend purchasing an MUA Palette (all are £4) as they have a really nice range for neutral coloured eyes are are really cheap for people starting with eyeshadows.



Eyeliner

Julianne tends to go for fairly thick liner but without a cat flick. I used Maybelline's Gel Liner (£7.99) with an angled brush to apply it easily. Another great eyeliner to use would be Soap and Glory's Supercat Liner (£6.00), as it is a liquid formula for those who prefer to use pen styled applicators.


Mascara

Julianne's lashes are so girly and long so I decided to use my Maybelline's the Falsies ( ) to separate the lashes and extend them whilst using Rimmel's Scandal Eyes ( ) to thicken them up. Consequently, if you're craving something luxurious, you could purchase the YSL BabyDolly Mascara ( ). This mascara has the most beautiful gold packaging - in love. 



Lips

Lipstick&Gloss

Finally, after a long long ramble (I apologise, I will make the next one of this series much shorter) I tried to find something cheap and similar to this coral glossy lip that Julianne regularly goes to. I chose to use my amazingly priced MUA Lipstick (£1.00) in the Shade 11 as they are highly pigmented and great quality for the small price. I then applied the Barry M Lipgloss Wand in the shade 10. These work wonderfully together to create a really pretty coral lip. Highend-wise, I would turn to Mac's Coral Bliss and use the same gloss as I used in my version of the look below.




Final Look



I hope you enjoyed this new series that I have started. I will hopefully be doing this at least once every two months or maybe more if it turns out to be a popular type of post. I really love the end result and would definitely wear it out on a day-to-day basis. If any of you have a preference on a celebrity that you would like be to do a look for, then email me specific photos (my email is in the side bar to the right).
Thank you for reading!


Goodbye Xx


Who are you favourite celebrities? Who's look would you like me to recreate next? 

17 comments

  1. Loved this post! I'm going to try this out because you look perfect, and thanks for the mention :) xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you so much Jess:-) You are so cute! You're very very welcome, I love that powder soooo much!xxxxxx

      Delete
  2. Lovely post:)
    Also you look amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, that is so sweet :)!

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love Julianne Hough, you did an amazing job matching her make up look! You look gorgeous x

    daisy-drops

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lauren, I love her too - she is sooo pretty. Youre so sweet! xxxx

      Delete
  4. I love how natural this look is!

    http://emicphany.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  5. great post, I'm so bad with makeup hah so I love posts like these. That MAC colour is so gorgeous, I've been looking for a new lipstick so I might try it out. would love if you could check out my blog :)

    istylethereforeiiwear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I will check out your blog, I love reading through people's posts and commenting on them, because comments make me really happy:-) I bet you're not bad at makeup at all and I have been wanting that Mac lipstick for ages - I love how beautiful the colour is. Just followed you on bloglovin and liked some of your posts too :-) xxxx

      Delete
  6. Your makeup looks flawless!! I love this post! So glad I found your blog!

    http://ncolesnotes.blogspot.com/2014/07/michael-todd-true-organic-products.html
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hQOiv322WM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw that is so lovely, I will go and check yours out now:-) Thank you xxx

      Delete
  7. It looks so elegant!

    http://twodottedlines.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this make up

    Please visit: http://trendybutterfly.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© scarletslippers. Design by FCD.