ONE SUMMER IN ROME | Book Review

9 May 2018



Following my recent trip to Rome at the beginning of April, I thought it would be ideal to review this wonderful book written by Samantha Tonge - One Summer in Rome. I received this as an e-copy and have been enjoying my evenings reading away, getting lost in the beautiful streets of Rome as my ideal revision break. It's been my perfect escape during this stressful time of year with university exams underway; the scenic detail and engrossing storyline has allowed me to venture alongside the characters to the recently visited city I loved exploring.



BLURB 

To Rome…with love?

Mary Smith is turning her very ordinary life upside-down! She’s bought herself a one-way ticket to Rome and is ready for a summer she’ll never forget. Men might be off the cards for waitress Mary, but within hours of arriving at the utterly charming family-run La Dolce Vita pizzeria, she’s already fallen in love with the bustling capital! Only Dante Rossi, the mysterious (and drop-dead gorgeous) chef seems displeased with her arrival. And in the heat of the kitchen, it doesn’t take long for long-buried secrets to surface and sparks to fly… A deliciously heartwarming romance to have you dreaming of summer. 

Perfect for fans of Debbie Johnson and Caroline Roberts.



THE AUTHOR

Samantha Tonge lives in Cheshire with her lovely family and a cat who thinks it’s a dog. When not writing she spends her days cycling, willing cakes to rise and avoiding housework. She has sold over 80 short stories to women’s magazines. Her bestselling debut novel, Doubting Abbey, was shortlisted for the Festival of Romantic Fiction best Ebook award in 2014. Game of Scones hit #5 in the UK Kindle chart and won the Best Romantic Ebook category at the 2015 Love Stories Awards.

Find more of Samantha Tonge here: 




REVIEW

Following the life of Mary Smith, we can only sympathise for the troublesome upbringing she had to endure. Moving from one foster family to another, Mary's early years were tough and it seemed that nothing could get much worse after her boyfriend decides to end their relationship to start a new working life in Dubai. After rationalising her situation, Mary leaps at the opportunity to work at a renowned pizzeria in Rome and purchases a one-way ticket in hope that her future lies in this new city. Will this fresh start be the right decision for Mary's destiny?

I honestly don't want to reveal too much about the plot because I know that I will get carried away and share too much. All I can say is that this is the perfect summer read, ideal for those who love a light-hearted romance or chick-flick. I'm obsessed with Samantha Tonge's writing style - the meticulous description of senses made me feel like I could smell the pizza and taste gelato. Oh, I wish I was back in Rome indulging in food and absorbing the summer heat. I'd highly recommend this book as the perfect holiday read. 


Purchase from Amazon UK: http://amzn.to/2rrwXfT


What is your favourite romantic novel? Do you reckon you will be giving this a read soon?

Lots of love

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© scarletslippers. Design by FCD.