Hemsby+Yarmouth | Travel Diary

19 August 2016


Documenting my travels is something that I want to do more often - whether it be near or far, 2 weeks or just a day, I want to keep an open diary to share my experiences as well as be able to reminisce some of my favourite adventures in the future. If you've been following my blog for a while, you may have seen my posts last year from Turkey - I uploaded daily which was super hard but so worth it, I love looking back and knowing exactly what I done every single day of the holiday. Without further ado, I'm going to cram a week's worth of fun, unhealthy eating and relaxing into this little internet space...




Day 1 

After a very hectic morning packing the car and collecting the last of our holiday must haves from around the house, it was time to set off. We left home at around 11 o'clock but arrived in Hemsby at 3:30!! The journey was only supposed to be 2 and half hours but being the unlucky family we are, we encountered 3 separate traffic jam/accidents on the way. Due to arriving so late, we decided to have a quick dinner - my Grandad thoughtfully cooked a roast chicken the night before so we only needed to buy some chippies from down the road. Oh, I completely forgot to say - I went away with my family (parents, brother, grandparents, auntie and cousin) as well as my boyfriend. We stayed in a chalet for a week just a 10 minute walk from the Hemsby sea front. The evening came very quickly, forcing us to rush around getting ready and trying to find a seat in the local holiday club. My mum won bingo, which I was so excited about and my brother, cousin, boyfriend and I finished the night off with a few games of pool. 

Day 2 

Sunday was very hot - for England anyway! This meant it was a great opportunity to spend a relaxing Sunday on the beach. Us kids decided to spend some time playing frisbee further down the beach in a spacious area - we are very clumsy and would simply end up hitting everyone around us. To cool off, we had a little paddle in the FREEZING sea, so cooling down did not take long at all. After lying down for a good hour, soaking up the sun and falling asleep, 6 of us decided to get active and have a game of mini golf. I ended up coming 4th which isn't ideal if you're the most competitive person in the entire world (don't worry, I improved over the week!) The rest of the day was spent relaxing, mooching round the sea front shops and standing in countless arcades trying to force my little cousin out of them. In the evening, following from our unlucky bingo game, I drove me and my boyfriend down to the sea front. We ended up munching on some hot, freshly baked donuts (15 for £1.80! BARGAIN).







Day 3

Monday's weather was forecast to be hot and sunny so the family planned to take a trip to Yarmouth, a 15 minute drive, sea front. In the morning, we all went to the Yarmouth Pleasure Beach, got a wristband and enjoyed all of the rides. I absolutely love fair ground/theme park rides so always find this a fun thing to do with the family, or friends. My makeup went really well today - I went for a glowy, dewy complexion and a golden glittery eye! Our fairground fun was successful and completed with a 'Make-Your-Own-Slush-Puppy'. Slush puppies are definitely my guilty pleasure;despite the amount of sugar and food colouring in them, I ate them all week. Bubblegum, blue raspberry and tropical - mmmmm! Around midday, the pokemon hunting began as we walked the full length of the sea front, and along Regent Road to the shops. 





Day 4

Our first few days were very action-packed, making our whole days rushed and exhausting. Today we wanted to give ourselves, especially my grandparents, a little bit of a break. Some of my family stayed in Hemsby but my boyfriend, mum, grandparents and I decided to visit a nearby village called Potter Heigham. It is seriously small but adorable - there is a small marina, LOTS of ducks and a couple of shops. My mum bought a loaf of bread so we could feed the ducks - the swans were extremely greedy so we had to throw our bread further just so the ducks could actually get some food. The weather was much colder today so I opted for a jumper and jeans - I was seriously digging the mustard, so-autumnal jumper I was rocking this day. Later on, us kiddies decided to have another game of mini golf on a different course. This time I came 3rd (little improvement)! The night was finished off by watching a firework display on the beach.





Day 5

One of my favourite places to go when my family stay in Hemsby is Wroxham. Wroxham is a slightly larger village than that of Potter Heigham - there are more shops, places to eat, a pub, the chance to go on a steam train and copious boat rides. Firstly, we stopped in the main, largest shop 'ROYS' that sells literally EVERYTHING in! I bought a L'Oreal Foundation and Collection Concealer as I was running low on face products, alongside two crossword books to keep me entertained. I love solving puzzles and crosswords! After a drink at the pub, we went for our annual hour and a half boat ride. The sights are incredible, as you can see above, and I never stop envying the beautiful cottages and houses along the river. One day I will stay in one, one day... For dinner, my boyfriend and I stayed in Hemsby's Hollywood Diner. I absolutely love this little, qwerky restaurant. The plate mats are vinyls and the wall is plastered in cool american quotes and images. I had chicken and chips and my boyfriend has spaghetti bolognese. 









Day 6

It was an early rise for my boyfriend and I on day 6. We woke up at 7, got ready and headed for an early morning beach walk. The sun looked incredible as it reflected of the water's surface and I felt immensely content at this moment. After a lovely walk and breakfast at the hollywood diner, we returned to the chalet and joined my family in Yarmouth. Our day consisted of pokemon hunting, playing air hockey on the pier, another game of mini golf (I came 2nd! WOO!), ice cream and some amazing shopping deals. Fortunately, Sleek were doing a 2 for £12 deal on all of their face products. I couldn't quite believe I managed to pick up a £10 Highlighting Palette and £11 Cream Contour Kit for £12 together. GO TO BOOTS PEOPLE! Unfortunately, we had no luck at the bingo again - not one of us had won anything the whole week apart from my mum on the first night. At least the comedian/entertainer was hilarious enough to cheer us out of our unlucky spirits. 


Day 7 & 8

Today Aidan and I were on a mission to complete the last few things we wanted to do whilst on holiday. The first was going back to the diner to try their ice cream and waffles; although the service wasn't impressive that day, the waffles tasted yummy but there were so many! I could only eat half a portion! We then picked up presents for people at home - specifically, Aidan's mum; we purchased this cool dream catcher and gorgeous pair of earrings for her, in hope that she would love them as much as us. Also, last time we came to Hemsby together we had to get some memorabilia for ourselves. To carry this on, we both found bottles of glitter - on the last day we travelled to the beach in the morning, emptied the glitter into the water and filled our bottles with sand to remember our trip. Back to the Friday, we spent the day chilling in Hemsby, had a classic fish and chips and had a nap before going out for the final night. Again, none of us managed to win bingo but instead...we exchanged our tickets. I completely forgot to mention that throughout the week my family helped to collect and save a huge 7,000 tickets for me, my cousin, brother and boyfriend to share between us. Aidan and I put ours together to buy a waffle maker, mugs, candles and sweets. 

Spending time with family is simply one of my favourite things to do in the world. It is so important to cherish and spend time with those who you love, and love you, as you will never have someone so supportive than your family. My week was incredible and although it wasn't an abroad summer holiday, I still had just as much fun. 

Where did you go this Summer? Where is your favourite destination to visit?

Lots of love

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© scarletslippers. Design by FCD.